What's all this fuss about?

Latin lyrics in Heavy Metal music are a common phenomenon. The darker the music, the more evil the band wanna be. What's better than using an old, mysterious, hardly understandable, cryptic, medieval and therefore almost satanic language? Unfortunately bands seldom know how to use this language properly. So, instead of evoking the demons of the realm of evil, they just evoke a hop-frog. Clatu verata nicto! - The most of you know what happened after this wrongly spoken spell.

Normally, two questions are the result of the fact that you've just read a latin phrase:
- What does it mean? (almost everybody)
- Is it correct? (just a few latin aficionados)

This page doesn't want to make fun of mistakes in latin lyrics. I wanna answer the first question to everybody who is interested. The second question is just for myself or for the two or three weird guys out there or for bands which are thinking about using a latin phrase as well. You can contact me if you want.

Montag, 7. April 2008

Limbonic Art - Ad noctum

The CD "Ad noctum" contains some latin phrases. First of all: the title, which means "to the night".

On the back side of the inlay you can read "nemo me impure lassesit. Mors certa vita incerta." The second part of the phrase is easy, but the first part contains some problems: "impure" means "impurely, viciuosly". "lassesit" doesn't exist. My thought was to exchange "lassesit" for "lacessit", and "impure" for "impune". If this is right, the phrase would mean: "Nobody provokes me without punishment. Death is certain, life uncertain."

Some more latin phrases you can find in the lyrics of "Pits of the cold beyond" and "Dynasty of Death".

In the first one there is "timor et tremor venerunt super me et caligo cecidit super me." - "Fear and tremble came over me and darkness fell over me."

In the second one there are just a few words: "locus reconditus occulta tenebrarum" - "A hidden place, secrets of the darkness."

1 Kommentar:

Unknown hat gesagt…

"My though was to"

--> "My thoughT was to"

ta-ta
E.